A year ago Levy County and Gilchrist County learned that the Tri-County Toys for Tots was no longer around to collect donations and distribute toys to our needy children so they could have a Christmas.
This year, Bryan Chrisp and his fellow Marines and civilian volunteers are working to return the magic of Christmas to children in two counties. And the plan is for Dixie County to come back into the fold and the Tri County Toys for Tots to be revived.
But it might not happen.
Someone has called to say the cans for collecting money and the boxes for collecting toys are pretty low on donations.
I find that hard to believe in Levy County where folks have warm hearts for children. I would like to think that we can all pony up at least $5 for those children. And it's likely we could do $10.
I just spent that much on a big lunch I did not need. So tomorrow I will be bringing in my lunch and putting a wrinkled bill in the first can I come across or buying that amount at a store with a Toys for Tots box and dropping them in.
We all need to do this now because the toy distribution is Friday, Dec. 20, in the Chiefland Walmart parking lot.
Christmas is just 5 days later.
Today is Dec. 9. We have time to save Christmas for the neediest children.
We can do it.
You can bring your donations to the following places:
At Walmart in Chiefland:
Friday, Dec. 13, 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 14, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 15, noon – 5 p.m.
Also with donation boxes:
• R & C Mobile Home and RV Supply, U.S. Highway 19 North
• Sears, Chiefland Regional Shopping Center on North Young Boulevard
• The Chiefland Citizen Newspaper, 624 W. Park Ave., Chiefland
• The Chamber of Commerce, Old Train Depot in Trailhead Park
• Chiefland City Hall, 214 E. Park Ave.
• Scoggins Chevrolet, North Young Boulevard across from McDonald's
• Chiefland Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, U.S. Highway 19 North
• White Ford Co., Main Street, next to Hardee's
• Tri-County Chiropractic
• Deke's Restaurant, 6650 N.W. 140th Street
• Central Florida Electric Coop, 11491 N.W. 50th Street
• Dollar General, on Highway 24, just outside of Cedar Key, on North Hathaway in Bronson and on North Young Boulevard in Chiefland