- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The first established Masonic lodge of record in Levy County was chartered at Levyville on January 16, 1867. The Brown Lodge No. 51, Free & Accepted Masons was named for Thomas M. Brown (1785-1867), Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Florida in 1849.
On May 27, 1870, the Levy County Board of County Commissioners sold the old courthouse situated at Levyville and the one acre lot on which it stood, to the lodge for the sum of $510.
The chartering officers of the lodge were Elias Turner, Worshipful Master; William O. Colson, Senior Warden; and Robert Bevan, Junior Warden. Early members included James F. Jackson; Stephen W. Hogans; William W. Clyatt; J.F. Prevatt; Lazarus B. Lewis; Lewellyn J. Hogans; Marion F. Clyatt; Washington Powers; Samuel H. Worthington; and Robert Waterson.
On August 16, 1916, the Chiefland Development Company sold Lot (5) five, Block (2) two in the Town of Chiefland to the Brown Lodge No. 51. The Chiefland Development Company was represented by its officers: C.E. Rodgers, President and E.T. Usher, Secretary.
Shortly after purchasing the lot in Chiefland, the members of the lodge moved the old Courthouse building from Levyville to Chiefland to serve as their lodge building. In 1965 the old building shown in the photograph was replaced by the present building. The new building was dedicated at the lodge’s centennial celebration in 1967.