Rosewood home destroyed by fire

-A A +A

Quick response time, rain, and a closed door saves one room.

By Kellie Parkin

The Cedar Key Fire Department responded to a single-wide mobile home fire in Rosewood Monday afternoon.


No one was hurt and several animals were rescued.

A combination of the fire department’s quick 11 minute response time, drizzling rain, and a closed bedroom door kept one room from burning.

The rest of the home was a total loss.

Shannon Random returned from walking her dogs to find the house filled with smoke. Her father, who is 79 years old and uses oxygen, was at a neighbor’s home at the time, she said.

Random took her three dogs safely outside and reentered the home in search of her cat while the home was burning. “She has neurological problems and she’s deaf,” Random said. “I knew she couldn’t get herself out and I wasn’t about to lose her.”

Covered in soot from top to bottom, Random left the fire-filled house once more, this time with her cat in tow. “I crawled through the house to where she likes to sleep, pounding the floor so she could feel I was coming. I’m so glad I got to her in time.”

A friend brought clothing so that Random would have something to wear in the coming days while firefighters extinguished the blaze and checked for hot spots.

As part of a mutual aid agreement, Cedar Key Fire responds when paged to assist the Rosewood department.

In all, four firefighters from Rosewood, seven from Cedar Key, a Levy County Sheriff Deputy and two EMS personnel were on scene.

The cause of the fire was most likely a space heater located in a bedroom, Rosewood officials said.